www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IBM's license for WS-Security - Take #2
Date Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:50:42 GMT
On Monday 27 June 2005 23:27, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> > > 2. The license is nontransferrable. Under this license, ASF can't allow
> > >
>  > > third parties to make Licensed Products, which is contrary to ASF's
>  > > license. While the license purports to be sublicenseable, that
>  > > sublicense extends only to "Subsidiaries," which is irrelevant to
>  > > ASF's model or opensource in general. (Section 1.3.)
>
> ASF can't transfer the license or sublicense it to customers.  See our
> other discussion as to why that doesn't prevent Apache from creating and
> distributing implementations and why Apache's licensees are already covered
> for their use.

Sorry for being very dense and a total idiot at times...

I think the question to ask is;

At the end of the day, can anyone take WS-Security and do an arbitrarily set
of changes (compliant or not) to the codebase and distribute it to anyone
else, for-free or for-profit, in accordance with the ALv2 license attached to
WS-Security, without executing any agreement with ASF, IBM or other party??

If the answer is not "Yes, of course.", then I think there is a problem for
ASF to proceed on this track. If the issue is only that the modified codebase
can not claim "compliance", then I think it is less of a concern.

Cheers
Niclas