www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Davanum Srinivas <dava...@gmail.com>
Subject IBM and WS-Security
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:22:45 GMT
Jeff,

Let's start fresh. Is IBM willing to allow Apache to write a
WS-Security Implementation?

We already have code, and have participated in interops, but have not
made a release yet (http://ws.apache.org/ws-fx/wss4j/). Current terms
published by IBM (http://www.ibm.com/ibm/licensing/977Q/2112.shtml)
are incompatible with Apache License/Process. I have detailed feedback
almost clause-by-clause for the IBM License (and the Microsoft
License), but that defeats the purpose...It's better for us to specify
what we'd like to see in a modified license from IBM (and Microsoft).
BenL and me were discussing this morning on what to request IBM and
MSFT w.r.t WS-Security license. Here is the list:

1. Users should be able to download our code and run it without further
action on their part (obviously they should be aware of the licence and
comply with it, but should not need to do anything beyond the normal
requirements of the Apache Licence 2.0).

2. The licence should not require implementations to be compliant (as we
agreed, this is an incomprehensible requirement anyway).

3. There should be no restrictions beyond those imposed by Apache
Licence 2.0.

4. Another instance of conflict with AL 2.0 is the requirement for
compliance with U.S. Export laws - this needs to go.

5. Note that the Apache Licence
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html) has a clause relating
to patents which may well work in the way you want already - clause 3.

Thanks,
Davanum Srinivas
Vice President, Web services, Apache.

Thanks,