www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Not a patent/license question :)
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 07:18:59 GMT
Question for our parlimentarians.  Section 4.1 of our bylaws
close with the current rule;

  [...] members of the corporation shall be admitted as members
  of the corporation only by a majority vote of the existing
  members of the corporation, and after receipt by the Secretary
  of a membership application completed by each such proposed
  member within thirty (30) days following the vote.

"by a majority vote of the existing members" is what I find some
what unclear.  Does this mean;

  * 50%+ of the members must vote yes for admission?

  * 50%+ of the members who cast ballots must vote yes, once
    there is a quorum of members?

  * more yes than no votes are required, and including all
    abstentions, there are enough voters to reach a quorum?

I know it's pedantic, but if the organization wants one of these
options, they would be clearer stated as;

  * "by a vote of the majority of existing members"

  * "by a vote of the majority of members present"

  * "by a vote of the members"

I found http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#6 interesting but
not completely helpful in clarifying this question.

Thanks to anyone who wants to wrap their head around this and
report back :)

Bill