www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject SISSL compatible with ASL?
Date Tue, 03 May 2005 22:25:35 GMT
Over at Apache Forrest we have a plugin that needs to include the API
libs from OpenOffice.org (no source code). However, we are unsure if the
Sun Industry Standards Source License (SISSL) is compatible with the ASL.

OOo is Tri licensed under the GPL, LGPL (obviously, not compatible) and
the Sun Industry Standards Source License (SISSL), so we are considering
the SISSL.

The FAQ at http://www.openoffice.org/FAQs/faq-licensing.html#1 seems to
imply that it should be compatible:

"This licensing structure provides the necessary flexibility for
combination of OpenOffice.org technologies with projects using other
licenses (e.g. MPL, Apache, Artistic, etc.)."

However, being no legal experts we have no idea if this objective is
realised. Can someone with a little more understanding of these things
pass verdict?

The SISSL license can be seen at http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

Thanks,
Ross