www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: Names and Trademarks
Date Wed, 04 May 2005 15:07:32 GMT
> Seems reasonable to me, too.  A nice descriptive name.  I'm definitely
> coming down on the side of non-cutsie names, e.g., Apache Directory
> Server.

FYI, trademark law is such that a "nice descriptive name" is a worse
trademark than a "cutsie" name.

Not that you shouldn't use descriptive words following the mark "Apache" to
describe ASF's various products. Certainly "Apache Message Broker" or any of
the other suggestions is more descriptive--and perhaps a more useful phrase
for prospective customers--than some suggestive or fanciful mark like "Axis.
" But for trademark purposes, the more suggestive or fanciful a mark the
better. In that case, "Apache" is the great trademark, "Message Broker" is
merely the description of one of the Apache products.

Better still is to come up with a pattern of names. The most famous example
of this, perhaps, is the McDonald's set of trademarks ("BigMac" and "Chicken
McNuggets"). But it is probably too late for ASF to come up with trademarks
in a consistent set.

/Larry Rosen

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]