www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject interpretation of ALv2, section 9
Date Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:12:21 GMT
Section 9 of the ALv2 says :

9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing
       the Work or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer,
       and charge a fee for, acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity,
       or other liability obligations and/or rights consistent with this
       License. However, in accepting such obligations, You may act only
       on Your own behalf and on Your sole responsibility, not on behalf
       of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to indemnify,
       defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any liability
       incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by
reason
       of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.

I just had someone claim to me that their lawyer interpreted this as
meaning that if they offered indemnification to their customers, they
would be responsible for defending all Contributors for any liability
or claims by anyone, not just their customers, and thus were about to
embark on wholesale replacement of Apache java code (until the issue
rendered moot for other reasons...)

I thought it strange - that to me (a non-laywer), this states that you
won't either pass through claims to contributors and/or will defend
contributors in case the party receiving the warranty from you decides
to use your warranty as a basis for going after the Contributors.

However, if I do mentally "tilt" my language interpreter a little, I
can see how they might be confused...

Just wanted to report this here for comment.

geir

geirm@apache.org