www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Copyright text, and javadoc license
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2005 05:16:55 GMT

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

>> Has there been any progress on the issue of
>>   "Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation or its
>>   licensors, as applicable"
>> vs
>>   "Copyright (c) 2001-2004 - Apache Software Foundation"?
> During the past few weeks Robyn Wagner, Jennifer Machovec, Jim Barnett and I
> discussed this issue via email. I drafted for their review an email that I
> proposed to send to legal-discuss to summarize the legal requirements for
> copyright notices on Apache works; I now step up to the plate and copy that
> summary below. Both Jennifer and Jim agree that the summary is legally
> correct, but they worry that the Apache members "want" to do it differently.
> I have suggested that lawyers should tell clients what the law is, but it is
> up to the clients to decide whether to follow the law. So here it is (with
> apologies for its length) for your review and discussion:
> *************************************

Thanks for the post. Very interesting (and mind-melting) stuff.

I've a couple of questions.

1) Does this apply just to entities (be it IBM or Joe Bloggs) who are
actively enforcing their copyright via copyright statements, or is every
commit of a new file or changed file without a copyright notice still
owned by the committer?

2) The simplified explanation I'd been told a few years back (via hearsay,
lists etc) was that when I commit to Apache, any copy of the code I keep
for myself is under my copyright whilst the copy I commit to Apache is
under their ownership. Is this possible? For two copies of the same thing
to bear different copyright?