www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Apache License : grant of patent license and derivative works
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 04:55:02 GMT
Niclas Hedhman <niclas@apache.org> wrote on 03/30/2005 10:19:26 PM:
> On Wednesday 30 March 2005 22:42, Jeffrey Thompson wrote:
> > What someone can't do is take your code that you contributed to the
http
> > project, move it to the ftp project, then claim that since there is a
> > patent claim infringed by the combination of your contribution with
the ftp
> > project that wasn't infringed by the combination of your contribution
> > the http project that the new patent claim is somehow licensed.
>
> Is it possible for someone to re-phrase this?? I can't understand it.
>
> Cheers
> Niclas

Since I wrote the offending explanation, I'll try to re-phrase it in a
less obtuse way.

It is reasonable for you, as a contributor to want to know which of your
patents you are licensing when you contribute code.  To figure that out,
look at the code you are contributing and the Work you are contributing to
and see which of your patents are infringed.  That's the list.  Your code
might be used in future versions of the Work or in other Works, but the
list of patents licensed won't change unless you make another
Contribution.
Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/