www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:21:21 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:11:12 -0500, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> For any company which hires peoples specifically to work
> on OSS projects, or who specifically allow people to work
> on them (either off-hours or on-hours, ala Google), having
> them sign a CCLA is a no-brainer.
>
> For those whose companies are "anti-OSS" or who
> barely tolerate their employees working on OSS, a
> CCLA would be nice, but unrealistic to expect. In
> those cases, the employee must be *extremely* careful
> to know and understand what is and is not allowed
> within their employee agreement. A typical example
> is that if you are provided by a laptop by your company,
> you take it on the plane with you, and develop some
> code or patch using it, the company could reasonably
> claim that it was developed using company resources and
> is therefore the property of the company.

And that's where Apache could help the most - instead of more complex
legal papers,
it would be better to have a FAQ ( prefferably verified by someone who
doesn't use "IANAL" in
the signature ) explaining this kind of stuff.

Some things seem clear - you can't do the work during the work hours (
instead of weekend/vacation/evening), or use any hardware or bandwith
from company.

Some things are not clear.  I liked the mail about the  "Master and
Servant" and english law - but I think it looks closer to some roman
law ( like "Owner and  Slaves" ) :-)

For people working on large corporations - it is very hard to do
anything that is not somehow related or couldn't be used by the
corporation. You take a picture - the company may have a department
selling content. So the important question is - does it matter what
project you work on part of your job, or absolutely anything you do in
your free time is owned by the corporation if the corporation has a
business that is related to the activity ?

I also heard about different state laws - in particular CA.

IMO if ASF could provide more (verified/trusted) information to people
who are employed and their job is not to write open source - it'll be
very usefull and probably more benefical than black/white decisions on
requiring CCLAs.

Costin