www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:13:48 GMT
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:50:25 +0000, robert burrell donkin
<rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:

> US employment law seems pretty clear and requiring CCLAs from
> contributors employed in the US sounds like a very good idea. in other
> jurisdictions, though, employment law is very different. an enhanced CLA
> for some jurisdictions may be a better idea.

Requiring CCLAs may restrict the pottential contributors to those
working for the few large corporations that do open source ( sun, ibm,
etc ), or are unemployed/self employed. In many companies it is quite
hard to get such a thing done - especially when the open source
project has  nothing to do with the  company and it's done as a hobby.

Just try going to your manager and ask him to get involved with the
company legal department and get a CCLA signed ( that is probably
generic and applies to the entire company ) - so you can do your hobby
in your free time. ( I want to go fishing, but I need a legal paper
that says the comany is giving up the rights to all the fish me or any
other employee will catch :-)

Does it matter that the project you work on has nothing to do with
what you are working on in your job ? Or anything I do in my free time
is owned by the company ?

Are there at least some differences between states ? Like  California
for example :-) ?

Costin