www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:59:13 GMT

On Mar 25, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:39:00 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr.
> <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>> In your case, what does this mean that you can't get a "formal
>> agreement" from the legal dept?  Is that related to your employment
>> contract / agreement?  Does this mean that there are rights that they
>> hold and don't want to give up?  Or does it mean that our CCLA is too
>> broad/narrow/wrong/whatever?  (I've heard feedback about our CCLA to
>> that end...)
>> Is there some other kind of document we could create to help this?
> It is very simple: My work for the ASF isn't recognized well. My boss
> would definitely prefer me to play soccer or do whatever in my spare
> time, but not write software, which could potentially spread know how
> to the outside world. They accept it, that's all. But *help* me by
> *formally signing* a document, that doesn't pay a single cent to the
> company? Why should they?

What makes you feel protected?  Suppose you had a change of management,
or your boss wins the lottery and retires...  What prevents new
management from coming after you and the ASF codebases you contribute
to because you have no permission?

I'm not trying to paint doomsday scenarios, and I fully understand the
sort of pain one has to go through for this.

And I do understand that there's a balance we have to strike between
our interest in protection with our interest in maximizing
participation.  We may make the judgment call that we're willing to
risk to enable you to participate (which is effectively where we are

I just see, through my involvement with the EC of the JCP, an ever
increasing awareness in the risks of employee participation and
contribution in the JCP spec process, and the work that companies are
doing to protect both themselves, and the specs that they have an
interest in.