www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache License : grant of patent license and derivative works
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:23:04 GMT
At 09:31 PM 3/30/2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

>I have every right to claim that I granted the rights for you to
>produce stoves under my license.  Not furnaces.  I insist on $5
>per furnace.

As Larry Rosen reminds me, the magic word "derivative" in our
license likely solves this issue.  What is derivative?  Solving
ftp in the context of the Apache HTTP Server?  Using the crypto
logic from Apache HTTP Server to power the Tomcat Server?  All
of these sorts of activities seem to be derivative, so the ASL2
patent grant seems sufficiently broad.  I no longer see any
issues coming from patented logic submitted to the ASF under
the ASL2.  Obviously external patents held by non-contributors
will always remain a concern.

Bill