www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:14:56 GMT
At 02:43 PM 3/25/2005, Costin Manolache wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:25:06 -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr.
><wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> That employer could do so in any case.  They retain their own
>> ownership and copyright even after granting rights to the ASF.
>
>Is this the case (i.e. both ASF and the contributor have ownership of
>the code ) ? That's another piece of information where I heard
>conflicting stories, and more vetted information would be useful.

See section 2. of the CLA

2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of
   this Agreement, You hereby grant to the Foundation and to
   recipients of software distributed by the Foundation a perpetual,
   worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable
   copyright license to reproduce, prepare derivative works of,
   publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
   Contributions and such derivative works.

You can make that same grant again, grant Your creation under yet
another Copyright License, and use Your creation in any manner.

You can't revoke the ASL terms for the code at the time of the
Grant.  You can't grant program FOO under the ASL, and then later
try to claim that program FOO is granted solely under the GPL.
You have given the ASF the right to relicense under the ASL 3.0
when it comes along.

But it remains forever your creation.

As for the "risk" of forking, the ASL has always permitted this,
provided you do not continue to call the fork'ed code by the same
name as the ASF's project.  You can't later run the FOO project
under another umbrella, unless you change the project name, e.g. BAR.

Bill