www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Export Control Revisited AGAIN
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:58:57 GMT
At 04:21 PM 3/14/2005, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
>>Can we please assemble an official page at http://www.apache.org/bxa.html,
>>which answers the question submitted below?
>
>This is important, though all I can afford right now is to note it and add it (prioritized
highly) to the STATUS file we keep in the /foundation/legal/ SVN directory.

Thank you Brian.

There is a corellary question related to httpd.  Some Win32 users
wish us to distribute ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll so our install
of mod_ssl would run out-of-the-box.

That requires us to cripple IDEA, RC5, MDC2 etc, and ask somewhat
publicly for identification of other patent-encumbered contents.
Should noone respond, we can argue diligence, if something else
came up in the future we would pull down the old binaries and
strip out yet anther feature.

But this module -is- the crypto.  Puts us in potentially a more
sensitive spot, but for someone elses' code.

It would be akin (if permitted by license) for the Tomcat project
to include the jsse crypto-layer .jar's in their distribution.

What position should the ASF assume for this case?  Which is the
appropriate forum to discuss this?

Bill