www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:41:31 GMT

I got rid of all the CCs.

On Mar 22, 2005, at 1:51 PM, Jim Barnett wrote:

> Good points.  I agree that Apache could be made safer from submarine IP
> by making the validation process for ICLA-only signators stricter.  The
> question becomes "How strict is too strict?"

I've proposed asking that a CCLA be required from everyone with an
employer specifically to protect the employee as well as the ASF, to
prevent accidentally (or intentionally) submarining IP into a project.

I realize that this is an additional burden for contributors and the
foundation, but... ("SCO, anyone?")

The JCP is also looking at this issue as there is a real fear there
that IP will be contributed accidentally by an individual that would
put the implementors and users of a spec (as well as the spec) at risk.

geir

geirm@apache.org