www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:20:39 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:50:25 +0000, robert burrell donkin
> <rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>US employment law seems pretty clear and requiring CCLAs from
>>contributors employed in the US sounds like a very good idea. in other
>>jurisdictions, though, employment law is very different. an enhanced CLA
>>for some jurisdictions may be a better idea.
>>

> Requiring CCLAs may restrict the pottential contributors to those
> working for the few large corporations that do open source ( sun, ibm,
> etc ), or are unemployed/self employed. In many companies it is quite
> hard to get such a thing done - especially when the open source
> project has  nothing to do with the  company and it's done as a hobby.
>
> Just try going to your manager and ask him to get involved with the
> company legal department and get a CCLA signed ( that is probably
> generic and applies to the entire company ) - so you can do your hobby
> in your free time.

I absolutely and completely agree.

What´s in it for your manager to help you? Nothing.

What´s the downside for them? Time, effort, possible legal exposure,
possible career damage if the employee acts in bad faith. If this policy
was in place, I doubt very much if I would have been able to contribute
to the ASF over the past few years. And all because of US laws which
don´t, as far as I know, apply in my country of residence anyway.

Regards,

Simon