www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <pste...@apache.org>
Subject Corporate Contributions
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2005 02:55:04 GMT
There is a discussion going on now on general@jakarta on corporate
contributions to apache. See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-general&m=111128882503499&w=2

The thread started off as a brand / PR discussion resulting from a press
article referring to JBOSS as "lead developer" of Apache Tomcat. One of
the posts refers to the corporate CLA here
http://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-corporate.txt
which makes it look like corporations can contribute (directly) to
apache projects.  Can someone explain exactly what that means?  In
particular, how can PMCs exercise oversight on corporations if they can
be contributors?  Should we be voting corporations in as committers /
PMC members?

Sorry if these questions are naive or inflammatory.  I am just having a
hard time understanding what it means for a corporation to contribute,
other than via a software grant, and I can't find any documentation on this.

Phil