www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <pste...@apache.org>
Subject [Fwd: Re: Copyright text, and javadoc license]
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 23:59:14 GMT
Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>>Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994 The
>>Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>

> The date should be the "year of first publication of the work." 17 USC
> 401(b(2). In the example you cited, the author was probably indicating that
> different parts of the work had different first years of publication. It
> isn't necessary to do that.
>
> In a collective work copyright such as for the Apache collection of
> software, the year of first publication of the collection is sufficient.
> When an entire new project is added, the date of the first publication of
> the collective work will change to reflect that new collective work.
>
> Since I recommend that you not change the copyright notices on the
> individual contributions, the date of first publication of those
> contributions will be evident from their own individual copyright notices.
> So the copyright on a contribution may expire sooner than the copyright on
> the collective work that contains it. (Neither will expire in my lifetime,
> thanks to Congress.)

I don't pretend to understand any of this; but this sounds like it could
save us volunteers a little time, so let me ask the following question:

Suppose we have a source file that was created @apache as part of an
ongoing project.  When first added to the source repo, it included our
standard copyright notice in its header file. That notice referenced the
year that it was added, say 2004.  Now 2005 rolls around and I make and
commit a change to the file.  Do I need to change

 * Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation.

 * Copyright 2004-2005 The Apache Software Foundation.

Thanks!

Phil