www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about using CPL-licensed software
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2005 17:39:17 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>Thanks, Geir,
>>
>>The "this is creating derivative works under the CPL, and  distributing
>>them from apache under the CPL, which we don't do." is perfectly clear.
>
> CPL allows derivative works to be distributed under a different licence
> (section 3), ie. ASL v2 for Derby. Are the terms of the CPL for this
> type of redistribution in conflict with the ASL v2?

The CPL only allows Contributors (i.e., people who give back changes and
additions) to distribute derivative works.

The ASL v2 does not have that requirement.

It is important to the ASF that people know that they don't have to
further investigate as to which portions they must give back changes and
which portions they have no such obligations.

- Sam Ruby