www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Question about using CPL-licensed software
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2005 23:14:52 GMT
The Derby community voted to accept DITA as the source format for the
Derby manuals; see:

http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c20050302193138.488.qmail@web81609.mail.yahoo.com%3e

There is a license wrinkle to this, which has to do with the DITA
Toolkit used for converting document source into human-consumable
format, such as html, pdf, or whatever. So far, the SourceForge toolkit
is the most interesting because it does what is needed:
http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200503.mbox/%3c20050303190926.78090.qmail@web81603.mail.yahoo.com%3e

The SourceForge DITA Toolkit has a CPL license.

Files in the Toolkit are meant to be copied, then modified for a
specific project. This lets a project control the look and feel of the
resulting documents.

Would Apache allow us to copy those CPL-licensed files, modify them for
Derby, then check them into the derby svn repository?

If this would not be allowed, then we need to make it clear to the Derby
community that we can use the DITA Toolkit (unmodified) to convert docs,
but need to produce our own files that override defaults.

thanks,

  -jean