www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:39:00 GMT
I see this as a tension between ideals.

One  ideal, ours, is an open process in which the barrier to entry for
participation is zero, both for the participant as well as for the ASF,
as it's all volunteer, and anything administrative like this costs
individual their personal time as they do the work.  (Thanks Jim!)

The other ideal is that there is a set of legal frameworks (because
we're international in scope) in which all of this activity does take
place, like it or not, and we need to be sure that what we do in that
context appropriately safeguards the interests of everyone - the ASF,
the users, the committers, and others outside of our community.  I
added the last one because if OSS is deemed to be  reckless in terms of
these issues, we're going to have a backlash against us, or a dropoff
in use due to fear.

In your case, what does this mean that you can't get a "formal
agreement" from the legal dept?  Is that related to your employment
contract / agreement?  Does this mean that there are rights that they
hold and don't want to give up?  Or does it mean that our CCLA is too
broad/narrow/wrong/whatever?  (I've heard feedback about our CCLA to
that end...)

Is there some other kind of document we could create to help this?

geir

geirm@apache.org