www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jim Barnett" <j...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Corporate Contributions
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:47:33 GMT
<snip>

>First, is the SCO problem - that someone will be able to come and shake
them down after they have made a significant investment of
infrastructure and development around the software we create and
distribute.

At which point we rip out all the offending code.  End of discussion
on that point.  There is no means, even via a CCLA, to completely
eliminate that risk.

<snip>

Ripping out the offending code mitigates new liability but may not
eliminate the problem either.  Anyone licensing the offending code prior
to the "rip out" date, still has a license from ASF purporting to allow
it to continue to modify, distribute and use the offending code.  I
suppose ASF could post some form of public announcement advising of the
infringing nature of prior releases, but it is unclear to me whether
that is enough to allow ASF to avoid "contributory infringement"
liability for continued use by existing licensees.