www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache License : grant of patent license and derivative works
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:02:22 GMT

On Mar 29, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> Geir Magnusson wrote:
>> The Apache License says in
>> section 3 "Grant of Patent License"  :
> <snip>
>> I read this to mean that if I make a derivative work, I have no reason
>> to believe that the patent license granted by the contributor to the
>> original work applies to me and my derivative work.
>
> I read it the same way. Not only that, but I read the patent grants in
> all
> other open source licenses the same way. A copyright license to create
> derivative works doesn't mean you get a patent license for whatever
> derivative works strike your fancy.
>
> If you create a derivative work, you must make your own decisions about
> whether additional patent licenses will be needed beyond those that
> came
> with the original work.

I thought about this some more and it's not clear to me.

By your phrasing of "additional patent licenses will be needed beyond
those that came with the original work" seems to imply that I can
depend on the patent license that came with the original work, but I
may need others.  From the first paragraph of your response, I thought
I couldn't even depend on the patent license that came with the
original work...

geir

geirm@apache.org