www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Corporate Contributions
Date Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:00:38 GMT
On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:42:28PM -0500, Phil Steitz wrote:
> That's what I thought, and that's what the licenses web page
> (http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas) says, but the text of the CCLA
> begins like this:
>
> Thank you for your interest in The Apache Software Foundation (the
> "Foundation").  In order to clarify the intellectual property license
> granted with contributions of software from any person or entity
> (the "Contributor"), the Foundation would like to have a Contributor
> License Agreement on file that has been signed by the Contributor,
> indicating agreement to the license terms below.  This license is for
> your protection as a Contributor of software to the Foundation and does
> not change your right to use your own contributions for any other purpose.
>
> In this case the signatory is the corporation.  The language would seem
> to suggest that the corporation is in fact contributing directly.

The legal language would say that because the corporation is the original
owner of the IP. The CCLA is intended to enable the individuals to sign
their ICLA, which states the individual has the right to provide the IP to
the ASF.

>From a legal standpoint, the CCLA is saying the corp can contribute, but
we don't accept contributions from them. Instead, we accept the
corporations's IP from individuals (their employees). We accept that
contribution under the language of the ICLA.

But legalese be damned... the philosophy and intent of the ASF is to
accept IP from individuals. Only.

Cheers,
-g

--