www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copyright text, and javadoc license
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:15:30 GMT
On Sunday 06 March 2005 00:24, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> > Has there been any progress on the issue of
> >   "Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation or its
> >   licensors, as applicable"
> > vs
> >   "Copyright (c) 2001-2004 - Apache Software Foundation"?

Thanks for a exhaustive explanation...

However, isn't this all a matter of presentation and perception??

Example;

John contributes a file.  Copyright 2005 John Smith.
Jill contributes a patch. Copyright 2006 Jill Smith of that particular patch,
which is published 'somehow' automatically.

At the same time ASF "compiles" John's and Jill's work and claims Copyright on
the compiled work.

In effect, the last HEAD in CVS/SVN codebases are Copyright ASF, and the
contributors' original work + patches are 'published' through other means (if
necessary) for instance by the commit mailing lists.

Didn't I also see somewhere that Copyright notice in the sources are no longer
required? Meaning, the 'publish mechanism' generates automatically the
"Copyright 2005 John Smith" and "Copyright 2006 Jill Smith" in the commit
mail, but the sources themselves do not contain those.

Am I missing something here?

Cheers
Niclas