www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Copyright text, and javadoc license
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2005 17:00:15 GMT
El sáb, 05-03-2005 a las 16:15 -0800, Lawrence Rosen escribió:
(...)
> The date should be the "year of first publication of the work." 17 USC
> 401(b(2). In the example you cited, the author was probably indicating
> that
> different parts of the work had different first years of publication.
> It
> isn't necessary to do that.

In the case of our files, version control often shows nearly continuous
change (package naming, bug corrections, refactoring) in a substantial
portion of the files, much like an Encyclopedia would. Thus, copyright
of a given release would expire at the legal provision for the release
"snapshot", while the collective work would continue evolving in time,
and thus, having different expiration dates at any point of time.

If this is the case, I think the decision to take the course of leaving
each file initial date would depend on the board and membership willing
to further extend Apache's use of copyright to keep our trademark clean
from (deliberate or else) pollution. Also, it could be misleading, as we
could claim later than, irrespective of Copyright notice, we "authored"
30% of a file 3 years after initial creation date.

In case we take this route, some automated tool linked with version
control should take care of extending copyright according to changes
made (or not) on the given file during the year.

This without going into *who* is actually the copyright holder of every
little bit of code.

Regards
--
VP and Chair, Apache Portals (http://portals.apache.org)