www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanj...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: Apache License : grant of patent license and derivative works
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:22:38 GMT
"Lawrence Rosen" <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> writes:
> Geir Magnusson wrote:
> > The Apache License says in
> > section 3 "Grant of Patent License"  :
> <snip>
> > I read this to mean that if I make a derivative work, I have no reason
> > to believe that the patent license granted by the contributor to the
> > original work applies to me and my derivative work.
>
> I read it the same way. Not only that, but I read the patent grants in all
> other open source licenses the same way. A copyright license to create
> derivative works doesn't mean you get a patent license for whatever
> derivative works strike your fancy.

Isn't the further development of the contribution in Apache also
derivative work? If so does this mean that when X gives some software
to Apache and we work on it to do various things, then the grant they
gave Apache for the patents in X is no longer applicable??

If that's true it seems to me we're screwed by definition.

Sanjiva.