www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Lawrence Rosen" <lro...@rosenlaw.com>
Subject RE: patent licenses on OASIS standards
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:26:31 GMT
Sam Ruby asked:
> Do we have a formal definition that we can employ for the term "open
> standards"?

Here's my try at a definition of "open standards" in the form of five Open
Standards Principles. These were first proposed at the conference of the
Open Standards Alliance in Phoenix last year. John Terpstra is organizing
that OSA activity. I welcome your feedback on these principles.

Open Standards Principles

1.	Everyone is free to copy and distribute the official
	specification for an open standard under an open source
	license.

2.	Everyone is free to make or use embodiments of an open
	standard under unconditional licenses to patent claims
	necessary to practice that standard.

3.	Everyone is free to distribute externally, sell, offer
	for sale, have made or import embodiments of an open
	standard under patent licenses that may be conditioned
	only on reciprocal licenses to any of licensees’ patent
	claims necessary to practice that standard.

4.	A patent license for an open standard may be terminated
	as to any licensee who sues the licensor or any other
	licensee for infringement of patent claims necessary to
	practice that standard.

5.	All patent licenses necessary to practice an open standard
	are worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, perpetual and
	sublicenseable.

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  ●  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of “Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom
               and Intellectual Property Law” (Prentice Hall 2004)