www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: tools to fix Apache License headers
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2005 15:14:41 GMT
"Acceptable" or "encouraged"? Or maybe even discouraged? The currently
applicable ASF-wide rule is described in [1]. If any project wants (or
needs to) change the license header in any way, then IMHO this should be
handled on an ASF-level and not on the project level. Things like these
lead to endless discussions in this or that project. We are generally
not lawyers (though we're slowly mutating), we want to code. What we
need are rules everyone can follow, and these rules should be the same
for every project under the ASF umbrella, especially when there are legal
issues.

So if a change is necessary this should be decided and communicated by
the Board.

Sorry for being negative and I apologize to Jennifer for singling her out
for my rant. It just happens every now and then that I pick up bits and
pieces all over this place which in several cases should have been
handled on the ASF-level. I think this is one of them.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

On 16.02.2005 15:46:11 Jennifer Machovec wrote:
<snip/>
> I believe (as do ASF counsel and the
> copyright counsel that was consulted regarding this issue) that the
> present Derby notice is acceptable.

Jeremias Maerki