www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: About Doug Lea's concurrent package.
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:59:18 GMT
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 01:29:11PM -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> * Public Domain: Antlr and Doug Lea's concurrency package are OK

Doug's page says:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/concurrent/intro.html

---
All classes are released to the public domain and may be used for any purpose
whatsoever without permission or acknowledgment. Portions of the
CopyOnWriteArrayList and ConcurrentReaderHashMap classes are adapted from Sun
JDK source code. These are copyright of Sun Microsystems, Inc, and are used
with their kind permission, as described in this license.
Can I use this code in commercial products?
    Yes. Many people appear to do so.

Do I need a license to use it? Can I get one?
    No!

Can I get commercial support for this package?
    I don't know of any place to get it. I can't think of any technical reason
that you'd want it."
---

The Sun license he refers to is:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/classes/EDU/oswego/cs/dl/util/sun-u.c.license.pdf

While Doug's comments might not be quite enough for the exact legal
requirements of public domain, I think we can in good faith accept his terms
and use it per his above statements without too much worry.

While a technical issue, Doug now appears to recommend:

http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/dcl/util/backport-util-concurrent/

instead as it is a backport of the Concurrency packages in Java 5.  So, you
get upwards compatibility for free.  The new package specifically refers to
the following license:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/

The Creative Commons public domain dedication is much clearer and legally
sound.  So, from a licensing standpoint, the new package is also better.

HTH.  -- justin