www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: LGPL and "the Hibernate clause".
Date Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:57:42 GMT

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> I mostly want to stay away from this one (I'm here primarily for things that
> might pertain to POI and various ASF stuff I use).  However, it does bring a
> question.  Does this mean that the board is now willing to reconsider the
> allowance to use LGPL stuff in ASF projects?

The answer here is yes (pending someone from the board telling me to shut
up :) ). If we can agree on a hibernate-style exception, then in addition
to the avenues of asking an LGPL'd project to dual-licence or re-licence,
we can ask if they'd be prepared to apply the exception.

Still wouldn't allow us to choose to use any LGPL'd project, they'd have
to include the exception somehow.

> Does this mean that the board
> is now willing to allow LGPL binaries to be served from ASF servers?

I think the exception Brian posted would allow it, but I'm not sure where
distributing LGPL stuff was left decision-wise. If no one else answers,
I'll make sure to find out.

> If so will this change apply evenly to all projects?

I can't see why not.

Hen