www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Novell licence
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2005 18:39:06 GMT

We've a request in the Jakarta->Commons->VFS project to have a piece of code
that depends on a Novell library. The particular library is:

http://developer.novell.com/ndk/njclc.htm

The licence is:

http://developer.novell.com/ndk/licence.htm

The contributor (sorry, unsure if they're a Novell employee or not) has told us
that the licence is in effect the same as Sun's licence for JavaMail (I've
attached the javamail licence).

Reading it with my uneducated mind, it seems to be that way. We can depend on
the code, but we can't store the jar in our CVS (or on iBiblio). This holds
true as long as the library isn't somehow identified as "Early Access Release
Materials" or "Internal Tools".

Noel Bergman pointed out that:

"As I read to clause 3, just referencing that license may be insufficient,
e.g., 'Software contains various software programs with different license
rights.' What is the license included with the specific component that is
intended to be used, and/or for what use is that component designated by
Novell?"

Licensing for the product is interesting. In addition to the url we were given,
there are two different licences; one that you accept when you download the zip
containing the library and another that is contained within the zip. The
website has 17 clauses, the agree page has 26 clauses and the download has 15
clauses. I've attached agree-licence.txt, website-licence.txt and
download-licence.txt to this email.

The interesting parts of the various licences appear at first glance to be the
same.

So I'm looking for a legal go-ahead on treating it akin to JavaMail.

Let me know if you need anything, I suspect this first email will be lacking
the right details/language.

Thanks,

Henri Yandell
Jakarta VP