www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Potential Issues in Tomcat codebase
Date Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:03:01 GMT
>> I am looking for answers to the following questions:
>> 1. Does this text actually present any issues?

No, everything we received from Sun for Tomcat is clear of any
IP issues until we are notified by the *author* otherwise.
For our own sakes (because we like to keep attributions), just
do what Jason suggested and place a sentence in the NOTICE file.

It is important that we not get too carried away in tracking
IP issues.  What is important to us is that the copyright holder
wants us to redistribute their software under terms compatible
with our Apache license.  Secondary to that (far, far secondary)
is having the paperwork on file.  In this case, we have both,
so I am really surprised that someone bothered to re-implement
the code.

....Roy