www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject VaudTax strikes again: distributed with no ASF license (to be confirmed)
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 10:50:37 GMT
Last year I had a contact with my local taxes administration, who were
distributing many copies (a few hundred thousand probably) of their
VaudTax (http://www.vaudtax.vd.ch/, in French) software, containing
several ASF librairies, without including the required credits and
license.

Although they promised to correct this, I've just downloaded the new
release, and apparently they haven't done it: no credits or license, as
far as I can tell. I've looked in the about box, PDF docs, grepped the
installed files, and the word "apache" is only present in ASF jar
files.

I've written them to politely ask if I have overlooked something and if
the credits and license are indeed in there.

I'll keep this list posted and ask for advice if the lack of license is
indeed confirmed, about what kind of action to take. One of our
substate (Vaud is a "canton", a substate of Switzeland) ministers is an
open source advocate, maybe he would help us make some positive noise
about this.

But let's wait to see if this is confirmed - I just wanted to keep the
list informed as I have written to them about the problem.

-Bertrand