www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Martin van den Bemt <mar...@mvdb.net>
Subject Re: VaudTax strikes again: distributed with no ASF license (to be confirmed)
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 12:34:25 GMT
Hi everyone,

Maybe setting up a more "readable" page on how to comply with the
license if you use any of the apache products will help, so we can mail
a quick link on how to achieve compliance. My experience is that most
people are just looking for a nice package to solve their problems,
download it, strip it from everything it has (except for the jar itself)
and don't care about the license or do not know what the implications of
a certain license is for their system (eg when choosing a GPL license).
Also it is not directly clear from the license (at least not for
everyone) what you should do.

So eg :

How to comply with the Apache License if you use apache products in your
  product :

Taking ant as a (in my view) good example :

- Include the LICENSE-2.0.txt in your distribution.
   How ? Create a LICENSE.packagename file for every (apache) dependency
you use.
   Where ? In the root of the distribution.
- Include the NOTICE file (eg from
http://www.apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt) and the appropiate
attribuations.
    Where ? In the root of the distribution.

How to handle eg webstart applications ? Is it sufficient to include
that information in eg jar files ? Or should an About window be created ?

Just an idea.

Mvgr,
Martin