www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Jim Barnett" <j...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Public Domain Software
Date Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:52:41 GMT
I agree that the public domain statement by MathWorks does not clearly
identify which rights (copyright, patent, trade secret, etc.) the
authors intend to surrender to the public domain.  The question of how
to properly dedicate rights in software to the public domain is a good
one.

With respect to copyright, the copyright act does not squarely answer
the "how to" question.  In the old days, the act stated that if you
didn't apply a copyright notice to a work that was distributed, the
rights in that work passed to the public domain.  Obviously that's no
longer the case since the copyright in a work arises upon creation
irrespective of notice.  Public domain remains the status that awaits
works in which the copyright expires (William Shakespeare's plays for
example).

Copyright protection is unavailable for works created by the US
government (See Section 105 of the copyright act).  It is fairly common
for federal governmental agencies and to offer software under such
"public domain" type disclaimers.  The USGS, for example, has lots of
"public domain" software linked on its website.

It looks like MathWorks worked in conjunction with a US governmental
entity (NIST) to create the work in question.  Works solely owned by
NIST would presumably be public domain from a copyright perspective
(i.e., totally unprotected by copyright) under Section 105.  Any idea
whether there was some kind of work-for-hire or joint ownership
agreement in place between NIST and MathWorks?

Another possibility is the Computer Software Rental Amendments Act which
created a register at the Library of Congress for public domain computer
programs.  Unfortunately the act is thin on the specifics as to how an
author gets a program he or she has created into the public domain via
the registration mechanism.  Still it might improve things a bit if
MathWorks registered the program in question as a "public domain"
program with the Library.

I'm not touching the patent question ;-)

Jim