www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject RE: Usage of LGPL libraries ?
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:49:21 GMT
--On Friday, January 14, 2005 10:41 AM -0800 Jim Barnett <jimb@bea.com>
wrote:

> similar developer usage bans.  Are there any discussions underway with
> the FSF to encourage updating the LGPL to refine the slippery "linking"
> language to enable use of LGPL'd code in ASF projects?

Yes.  There was a conference call this week (or last?) with FSF and ASF
folks to discuss this - amongst other Java-related things.  Brian's also
sent emails to the FSF asking for clarification on the specific LGPL
scenarios we are concerned about.  I don't believe we've received an reply
to that email yet, but it may have been touched on during that con-call.
We've also been in discussion with other projects (such as Hibernate) that
use LGPL about additional terms they might consider adding that would
resolve our concerns.

So, yes, it's something we are actively working to resolve.  -- justin