www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Licence required in javadoc output?
Date Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:16:20 GMT
--On Friday, January 21, 2005 7:01 AM +1100 Glen Stampoultzis
<gstamp@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Could you explain what a compilation copyright is?

AIUI, the ASF has the copyright on the collective work as we distribute it
(i.e. compilation/release).  However, we don't necessarily hold the
copyright of the individual files themselves.

The analogy we've received from Robyn and Jason is an edited book of
collected works by a variety of authors.  The 'editor' holds the copyright
on the entire book, but the original authors retain copyright over their
stories.  Infringement against a specific work within the collection (i.e.
one story) must be contested by the original author not the editor.
However, infringement against the entire collected work can be contested by
the editor.  -- justin