www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>
Subject RE: Public Domain Software
Date Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:02:59 GMT

Thanks for all the pointers and info!

Sounds like the approach is for Phil to approach MathWorks regarding
whether they'd be willing to relicense under the MIT or BSD licenses,
and/or whether the work was created as a work-for-hire by the U.S. gov't
in which case it truly would be public domain.  Based on an answer to
those questions, we can (probably very quickly, if they're willing to
relicense or if it's truly PD) get an official OK from the board and our
counsel about this.

BTW, this is exactly how I'm hoping the legal-discuss mailing list would
work; question is posed, perspectives on the answers given, research is
done, and then if a decision from board or ASF counsel is still needed,
it's already been vetted and stripped to the core issue.  And, the archive
serves as an FAQ for the next time someone has the same or similar
question.

 	Brian