www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: VaudTax strikes again: distributed with no ASF license (to be confirmed)
Date Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:49:51 GMT

Le 29 janv. 05, à 13:34, Martin van den Bemt a écrit :

> ...Maybe setting up a more "readable" page on how to comply with the
> license if you use any of the apache products will help, so we can
> mail a quick link on how to achieve compliance...

Good idea, but IMHO such a page should also include a prominent notice
urging people to talk to their managers and/or customers before blindly
redistributing (ASF or other) software.

The VaudTax example (probably one among many others) shows that many
people are just ignorant about their obligations: download it - ship it
- done.

So I think it's important that managers and deciders are aware of
licensing issues - ok to make it easy for developers to comply, but we
should also do our best for higher-ups to be aware of their bottom line
benefitting from ASF software.

-Bertrand