www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with the process of obtaining TCKs [WAS: Re: Expression Language 2.2 TCK [Was:: Servlet 3.0 & JSP 2.2 TCKs]]
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 00:50:32 GMT
On Tuesday 20 April 2010 8:21:19 pm Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Apr 20, 2010, at 2:27 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > CXF has had the same problem obtaining JAX-WS and JAX-RS TCK's.   We put
> > a note about this in our board report for this month as an issue the
> > board needs to address.    I'm hoping to see SOME action on this
> > tomorrow during the board meeting.   Right now, it all has to go through
> > a single person which is complete anti-community and against the "Apache
> > Way" of doing things.
>
> See my other note re you helping.  I will point out that this is totally
> orthogonal to "community" or "Apache Way".

Well, there are two issues I have with the current state of affairs:

1) You are the single contact point (and choke point) for obtaining new and
updated materials.   THAT is definitely against my understanding of what we
try to accomplish in our communities.  We put things like "3 independent
contributors" as requirements for our incubator communities, but not something
we've enforced here.    We've also encouraged people to help participate in
other communities in hopes of growing into a role there (like become a
committer).    Again, not something we've done here.   (although, like
infrastructure, this is hard to do due to security being required first.)
The main issue for me is that your spam filters or whatever routinely get in
the way and requests get lost.  That shouldn't happen and others should be
able to step up and help out.   (which I would be happy to do, Mark would be
happy to do, and Jeff Genender would also be happy to do if (2) can be solved)

2) The "community" isn't really a participant in anything JCP at Apache does.
Even things like figuring out how to distribute materials is something that is
discussable (since I don't have root on mino, that is an issue with me
participating)   There haven't been a lot of non-Sun votes lately, but they
certainly should also have a discussion as well.   Things like that.

If you are OK with expanding (1) to include more people, I'd be happy to start
off a discussion about how to accomplish the distribution of materials.   I'll
do that now.  :-)

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org