www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>
Subject Re: OSGi CT access
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:04:49 GMT
On 1/20/10 7:52, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Shall we move forward on our organizational desire to get out of the NDA business?
>
> When I put the NDA together some years ago, it was based on my view that we as a corporation
needed something tangible with which we could demonstrate that we were taking reasonable steps
to provide oversight over confidential materials that we licensed and were obligated to keep
confidential.

> However, the OSGi CT is different - it doesn't require a formal NDA (AIUI).
>
> That said, I do think it's really valuable to have a "Memorandum of Understanding" or
"Agreement for Licensed Materials" so that people have to acknowledge to us that such materials
aren't open source, or things that can be redistributed at will, but a document without the
formal burdens of confidentiality and liability upon the signer.

> For example :
>
> 1) That materials provided are licensed by the ASF for the use by and only by ASF projects.
>
> 2) That the recipient will use reasonable care when using such materials (whatever that
means).

> 3) The recipient understands that they are not to be distributed to or used by 3rd parties.
>
> If nothing else, this gives us a solid leg to stand on in the event a person mishandles
the materials....

I think this would be fine. So where do we get this "Memorandum of
Understanding" ? Is this something that can happen soonish since sorting
out the OSGi CT process has taken a while?

On a more detailed note, would something like this need to be signed on
a per "understanding" basis or would one cover all such materials
licensed to the Apache?

-> richard

> geir
>

> On Jan 19, 2010, at 7:53 PM, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>

>> On 1/19/10 10:11 AM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to confirm the process for gaining access to the OSGi CT.
>>>
>>> An ASF committer can:
>>>
>>> * submit an NDA -- http://www.apache.org/jcp/ApacheNDA.pdf
>>> * send a request on jcp-open, presumably with an simple explanation of why they
would like access to the CT (e.g. I'm working on the Apache Aries project and would like access
to the OSGi CT).

>>> Is that about right?
>>>

>> Well, unless someone has a reason why not, I suggest we follow the above as the procedure
for getting access to the OSGi CT since it seems as reasonable as any.