www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <aadamc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR 275 - I would like to vote no
Date Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:58:34 GMT
Hi Geir,

I am not currently working with the problem domain touched by this
JSR, although I have some science background (a degree in chemistry)
and understand exactly where the need for this is coming from. One day
is not enough time to evaluate its technical merit, but what I DON'T
like is seeing the JRE standard library expand adding yet another
package ("javax.measure") that is too specialized.

Could you clarify something in this regard. Say this JSR goes final.
Does it automatically become a part of J2SE, or is it possible for it
to exist as a standalone package, and who defines each of the outcomes?

I'd be -1 for the former and +1 for the later (unless I overlooked
some other warning signs in the API). I.e. this may (or may not) turn
out to be a fine library for scientists, but let's not put it in the

On Jan 25, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> JSR 275 is a "Unit Specification" JSR.  I've seen two presentations
> on the spec, and I'm not comfortable at a technical level that this
> is on the right track.
> However, I represent the ASF (and not me), so I'd like some feedback
> on the spec - talk me out of it if you want :)
> Sorry about the short timeframe - I have to vote tonight...
> http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=275

View raw message