www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: JSR200
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:58:27 GMT
Hi Tim,

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Sun has informed me that the TCK for JSR-200 is not available as a
>> separate TCK, as it's part of the platform TCK for Java SE.
>>
>> We requested that it be separated, but in the opinion of Sun, it
>> wasn't
>> separable given it's integration w/ java.util.

Speaking out of turn here, but it would at least require expenditure
of non-trivial engineering resources to split it out. It *might* be
worthwhile for someone to volunteer to do the split and "propose a
patch". Doing the work would possibly expose the reality of why it's
bundled.

> So to point out the obvious, it means nobody can produce an
> independent
> implementation of this JSR and determine its compliance with the
> specification.  That seems like quite a problem for a supposedly
> individual JSR.

Clearly, this one slipped past everyone. From the official vote on the
JSR:
On 2002-12-09 Apache Software Foundation voted Yes with no comment.

> Is there any indication of which JSRs are separable and which can only
> be tested in the context of the umbrella JSRs?  I'm guessing not, and
> that we'd need to ask the question each time.

If you mean, "Do you have to read each JSR as it comes out to see what
the planned TCK strategy for that JSR is?", the answer is yes. Section
2 of every JSR that's filed contains the proposed TCK and RI strategy.

> It is strange to me that the tests for just one class
> (java.util.jar.Pack200) and two interfaces (Pack200.Packer and
> Pack200.Unpacker) are so closely coupled with the other tests -- there
> is no integration with the java.util other than by package naming
> convention.
>
> Can we

I guess you mean "anyone in Apache who cares"

> please try ensure that any JSR that is proposed for inclusion in
> a Java 7 umbrella comes with its own TCK?

Good idea. See above and complain if the TCK is proposed to be bundled
with the umbrella. This is a good topic to bring up when the JSR is
originally filed. Apache as an official member of the Executive
Committee has some weight...

Craig

> Regards,
> Tim