www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSR200
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 15:28:09 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Sun has informed me that the TCK for JSR-200 is not available as a
> separate TCK, as it's part of the platform TCK for Java SE.
>
> We requested that it be separated, but in the opinion of Sun, it wasn't
> separable given it's integration w/ java.util.

So to point out the obvious, it means nobody can produce an independent
implementation of this JSR and determine its compliance with the
specification.  That seems like quite a problem for a supposedly
individual JSR.

Is there any indication of which JSRs are separable and which can only
be tested in the context of the umbrella JSRs?  I'm guessing not, and
that we'd need to ask the question each time.

It is strange to me that the tests for just one class
(java.util.jar.Pack200) and two interfaces (Pack200.Packer and
Pack200.Unpacker) are so closely coupled with the other tests -- there
is no integration with the java.util other than by package naming
convention.

Can we please try ensure that any JSR that is proposed for inclusion in
a Java 7 umbrella comes with its own TCK?

Regards,
Tim