www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-326 Project proposal
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:56:34 GMT
Steve Poole wrote:

> Greetings - I thought it was worth posting to this list the fact that I
> have created an incubator project proposal for JSR 326.    I work for
> IBM and  am the spec lead for the JSR.  The JSR (
> http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=326)  is concerned with creating a new
> API for postmortem JVM Diagnostics.
> My proposal needs mentors and a champion.
>
> It seems to me that one of the areas we will need help in is concerned
> with the fact that we want to run the JSR development in an open way.
> Effectively the aim is that the spec will fall out of the RI. There are
> and will be interesting questions in attempting to develop spec and RI
> in this way.  For instance how much of the JCP process is actually
> applicable when a project is completely open and how to position an
> "expert group" when the whole project is open to the community.
>
> The proposal is here http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/KatoProposal

I've been involved in some grid standards we did fully in the open . A
key feature was BSD/apache licensed tests all developed in a public
repository (For us, sourceforge), and hook up a CI build to continually
test things, such as lots of XML documents against the proposed schemas.
Interop testing was more fun, but tha's a separate topic.

So
  -the test suite comes out sooner rather than later (caused some push
back from those people who haven't written working code for a long time)
  -no secret test suite
  -anyone who joins get commit rights

all too often, JCP processes have used access to/passing the test suite
as the control point, which is just silly.