www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Alan Cabrera <...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Clarification of TCK policy
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:43:16 GMT

On Mar 18, 2008, at 9:12 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> I'd like to get a bit more clarity as to acceptable use of TCK in
> Apache projects. The latest official word, from http://www.apache.org/jcp/
> :
>
> <official-word>
> Projects must keep the official TCK materials confidential. Use your
> best judgement. For the elimination of doubt, public discussion
> about using the TCK, bugs found while using the TCK, and any project-
> created frameworks or assisting software or documentation that do
> not reveal the official confidential TCK material is acceptable.
> </official-word>
>
> My best judgement says any of the below is subject to the TCK NDA
> (as strictly interpreted by others in the past) but the information
> is extremely useful to help project members who have not signed the
> NDA.
>
> Here are some specific questions that have come up before:
>
> 1. Can a project publicly post statistical results of a TCK run?
> e.g.     [java] Total tests run: 1593. Failures: 0, Errors: 5.

I can speak about the J2EE TCK.  We are not allowed to publish
statistical results of a TCK run.  We cannot publish the progress of a
specific version with regards to its passing the TCK.  We can only
state wether a specific version passes the TCK or not.

> 2. Can a project publicly post the names of the tests that failed?
> e.g.
>    [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFEmptyStringOverrides	   ERROR
>    [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFNullOverrides	   ERROR
>    [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFStringSpaceOverrides	   ERROR
>    [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFNamedOverrides	   ERROR
>    [java] RUN Jdoconfig.testGetPMFNamedSpacesOverrides	   ERROR

We cannot publicly post the names of the tests since these names are
proprietary.

> 3. Can a project publicly post the exception that caused the
> failure? e.g. [java] 5)
> testGetPMFNamedSpacesOverrides
> (org
> .apache
> .jdo
> .tck
> .api
> .persistencemanagerfactory
> .config.Jdoconfig)javax.jdo.JDOFatalInternalException: Unexpected
> exception caught.

ditto

> 3. Can a project publicly post the full stack trace for a failure?
> e.g. [1]

ditto

> 4. Can a project publicly post a source snippet of the failure? e.g.
> [2]

ditto

Regards,
Alan