www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From "David Nuescheler" <da...@day.com>
Subject Re: developing JSR RIs and TCKs at Apache
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:24:35 GMT
Hi Sam,

> Unless I misunderstand the process, there is nothing stopping the ASF
> itself from being a spec lead.  I understand that's not the case for
> 170 or 283, and am I not suggesting that it should be.  But it might
> be relevant in the context of the original question posed.

Absolutely. I completely agree, the ASF could certainly be a spec-lead.
Since the ASF is a member of the JCP I would even argue that
everybody who can represent the ASF (members of the foundation)
could submit a JSR on behalf of the ASF. Is that correct?

I would say it would be wise to allocate a project for that though,
since our calculations show that we spent roughly 30 person
years on JSR-170 just for the herding the cats (vendors), write the
Spec, RI & TCK.
This may vary greatly from JSR to JSR.

regards,
david