www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: stubbed out implementations of jcp-managed interfaces
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 21:18:38 GMT
I agree. I don't see any issues with creating a stub jar file that
doesn't actually do anything useful.

I'd first see if the interfaces that Derby needs are already licensed
under a binary compatible license such as CDDL. I know that many
interfaces defined in JSRs have been recently (within the past 4
months) dual licensed under CDDL and GPL, so I'd first contact the
spec lead. It might be that the official jars are already suitable.

Craig

On Oct 29, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> I think you should just create interface and stub class jars.
> You're not claiming its an impl or compatible.
>
> geir
>
> On Oct 26, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>
>> The following issue has come up on the Derby developer list and I
>> would like your advice about how to proceed:
>>
>> In order to build a releasable distribution of Derby, a developer
>> needs to compile Derby's small device support. Right now, this
>> involves finding an implementation of the CDC foundation classes
>> and the JSR 169 database interface classes--both of which
>> implementations are licensed under JCP rules. As far as I know,
>> the only implementations of these interfaces are available from
>> companies which require that you accept their additional,
>> encumbering licenses. Rather than sending every release manager
>> out on this hunt, I'd like to be able to check in enough Apache-
>> compatible machinery that the Derby build would always
>> automatically compile the small device support.
>>
>> One possibility would be to create our own stubbed out
>> implementation of the CDC foundation and JSR 169 classes. A
>> warning, however, has been raised. We are worried that the JCP
>> rules may not allow us to create a stubbed out implementation
>> which is only useful for compilation purposes. Is that also the
>> opinion of the jcp-open@apache.org list?
>>
>> I would appreciate your advice on how I can get my hands on
>> unencumbered compile-time machinery so that I can simplify the
>> Derby build.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick

Craig Russell