www-jcp-open mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject stubbed out implementations of jcp-managed interfaces
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 17:44:50 GMT
The following issue has come up on the Derby developer list and I would
like your advice about how to proceed:

In order to build a releasable distribution of Derby, a developer needs
to compile Derby's small device support. Right now, this involves
finding an implementation of the CDC foundation classes and the JSR 169
database interface classes--both of which implementations are licensed
under JCP rules. As far as I know, the only implementations of these
interfaces are available from companies which require that you accept
their additional, encumbering licenses. Rather than sending every
release manager out on this hunt, I'd like to be able to check in enough
Apache-compatible machinery that the Derby build would always
automatically compile the small device support.

One possibility would be to create our own stubbed out implementation of
the CDC foundation and JSR 169 classes. A warning, however, has been
raised. We are worried that the JCP rules may not allow us to create a
stubbed out implementation which is only useful for compilation
purposes. Is that also the opinion of the jcp-open@apache.org list?

I would appreciate your advice on how I can get my hands on unencumbered
compile-time machinery so that I can simplify the Derby build.

Thanks,
-Rick